Virtualization technology overcomes physical limitations and abstracts the computing functionality of a device from its physical hardware – strengthens a business financially, by reducing expenses.
Is Server Virtualization Right for Your Business?
Server virtualization consolidates multiple operating systems (OS) on a single server. Consider it if you need to do any of the following:
- Use more applications and OS without breaking budgets for hardware, electricity, and space.
- Reduce the hours that IT staff spend on installing, patching, administering, and supporting applications servers.
- Add storage virtualization to reduce application downtime and simplify backup.
- Master cloud challenges. Having experience with virtual servers will prepare your business for migrating other business-critical services to the cloud.
To get started, consider the following four steps recommended by some Cisco Certified Partners that have managed virtualization projects for businesses of all sizes.
1. Evaluate Your Systems’ and Network’s Current Performance and Capacity, and Future Requirements
You’re in good company if you’re overdue for a technology refresh.
“It’s common to see customers suffering from server sprawl, trying to coax performance from disparate OS, or limping along with old hardware”.
At the systems level, assess the speed and capacity of your CPUs, processors, and disk I/O. We look at email, file servers, domain services, database applications, hard disk setup, and other systems to evaluate where virtualization could make an improvement.
At the network level, assess the performance of your switching, routing, and WAN links.
2. Calculate the Payoff: Make the Business Case with ROI
3. Create a Strong Infrastructure
Virtualization technology will improve performance as reduce complexity and costs, now and in the years ahead.
- Hypervisor software
4. Map Your Virtualization Timeline, Team, and Support
With you virtualization hardware and software in hand, the migration timeline can range from two or three weeks to two or three months, depending on the number of sites and servers and your staff resources.
DAG tech has the expertise in virtualization to lead your organization plan towards a more streamlined and efficient network.